Determining Running Gait with a Smart Phone App
Many people suffer from pronation or supination while walking or running. Pronation is when the outer edge of the heel strikes the ground and the foot rolls inward and flattens out. Pronation is a natural part of how feet function, but overpronation can cause injuries. Supination is when the foot rolls outwards instead of inwards. If the supination is excessive it can damage the ankle. There are many ways to determine whether you suffer from over- or underpronation (supination), but would it be possible to let an app diagnose your movement by filming when you walk and/or run?
Develop an iOS or Android app that accurately determines whether or not a person is over- or underpronating by analyzing a video sequence
- How do you identify the feet?
- Do you need to wear special shoes or socks? Does the background matter?
- Are there any already existing feet recognition algorithms?
- How accurate is the chosen algorithm(s)?
- How long does the video sequence need to be in order for the algorithm to be accurate enough?